Tonight I went to a Labour party meeting at Imperial College. We had a debate about rising tuition costs in the UK. The first 15 min. were dedicated to the topic of "mickey mouse" courses, ie: ANY major that is not engineering or medicine. According to everyone in the room, these were a waste of time and govt. spending. I felt that it was my duty as a social science major to enlighten them to the fact that society does not exist of just engineers and doctors ( I saw shocked faces). Also, they thought that history was a waste. These are the people that will design the weapons of the future and they do not feel the need to study politics (or take a single course, or acknowledge that it is important) or HISTORY! They also thought that anyone who went to a second tier school or less, should not be govt. supported. They made fun of people who did not have their high IQ. And they also said that people who take "mickey mouse" courses will not get a job and therefore should not be govt. supported. I again decided to bring them out of their ignorant bubble and remind them that their job prospects were just as bleak. Every comment I made was met with silence. Probably because they have never been exposed to anyone who wasn't a fucking science major. I value everyone, these people do not. I was sickened. Also, I think only being exposed to one type of major is danergeous. These students honestly thought they were God's gift to the world... and all other majors were a drain on funds. This is not a healthy intellectual environment.
And my crusade for humanity continues...
No comments:
Post a Comment